Monday, November 12, 2018

Pipe-in it up

As you may have guessed by the title, we are talking pipes

Not muscles or plumbing, but good old fashion tobacco pipes!

Image Source
Many people including myself started smoking before they ever know the repercussions. Other people know darn well what they're getting themselves into with this habit and still begin. Often times both groups don't think too much about before they could buy their perfectly rolled cigars or cigarettes, back when pipes and pipe tobacco were all there was. What about before that though? Of course we're going to dive into a little history and then we will talk types. 
I found this great blog that actually goes through the earlier history of pipes. I was surprised to find out that many places around the world were using them at the same time and didn't even know. I don't find it the least bit surprising that they were first found in Egypt, everything was first found in Egypt it seems. It made me laugh when it states that Columbus sparked a rage in smoking tobacco, Columbus you rebel. If you would like to read for yourself go enjoy: Source. Another great read I found that does outline the history and many other thing made it seem like it was for men, but I enjoyed it. I love how this man gave himself credibility by saying he actually makes pipes. I love that, we do too! Go on and enjoy a great read with this one: Source
So lets talk types. The style in pipes is almost unchangeable, however what they're made out of is not. Artisan or collector pipes are generally wood. They have small metal ones for on the go, those tend to get pretty warm if you like to reef on the pipe. There is glass, pretty classic and basic. Now they also make silicon pipes, anyone ever feel like silicon is taking over the world? It is just so widely used. I mean, you can make a pipe out of an apple. Another classification of pipes isn't about what they're made out of, but the style in which they are made. The main 5 types of pipes are spoons, chillums, steamrollers, sherlocks, and bubblers. I always considered bubblers more of a water pipe, but I've always had a special place in my heart for sherlock pipes, which I just found out are called gandalf pipes if they have a really long neck. Read more here: Source
Thank you for piping it up with me and chatting about pipes. Comment your favorite type below and then head on over to our Facebook this week for all things pipes. As always, Hannah Lynn

1 comment: